Coenzyme Q10, or CoQ10, is a natural supplement made in the body. It helps the mitochondria of every cell produce energy. It is also an antioxidant, which is linked to the growth and nurturing of hair on the body. Taking a supplement of CoQ10 has shown improvements in hair growth in people suffering from hair loss.
What Can CoQ10 Help Cure?
A coenzyme helps enzymes in the body synthesize energy and helps the mitochondria send energy to the cells. The process of sending cells energy is called ATP, or adenosine triphosphate. It is a coenzyme that helps maintains cell structure and is naturally created in your body. Because it helps energize cells, CoQ10 is also used to manage muscle stiffness, fatigue, and low energy. It also slows down and even reverses the effects of cell aging.
Studies also show that maintain cell health also assists in hair growth. If you have male-pattern baldness or early hair loss, taking a CoQ10 supplement has properties to help regrow hair and strengthen hair follicles so you can have a strong, healthy head of hair.
How CoQ10 Can Help Regrow Hair
There are three ways in which CoQ10 can help regrow your hair. This applies to you if you have baldness or hair loss due to age. Here are three ways CoQ10 helps your hair regrow.
- Strong antioxidant properties keep cells fresh and new
- CoQ10’s oxidized form is called Ubiquinol. It helps cells intake oxygen and reduce free radical damage, which results in cell damage. Ubiquinol helps metabolize both vitamins C and E, which are also fat-soluble. Hair follicles which may be damaged or broken benefit from antioxidants. The cells are now protected and strengthened after receiving Ubiquinol.
- Oxygen flow is targeted toward the head
- Lack of oxygen leads to cell damage which leads to weak hair follicles. Weak or damaged hair could turn into split ends, graying hair, and eventually baldness. Oxygen must be supplied to hair follicles in order to maintain healthy hair.
- Increase hair keratin growth
- Hair is made out of a protein called keratin. Without the proper amount of keratin, hair becomes loose, frayed and eventually causes baldness. Besides special shampoos or treatments that help increase keratins in the scalp, CoQ10 supplements are used to speed up hair growth and protect the remaining hair.
How Can You Get The Proper Amount of CoQ10?
CoQ10 is found in a variety of foods. Certain vegetable oils, legumes, sesame seeds, organ meats, and broccoli are among the list of foods rich in CoQ10. Keep in mind that frying or cooking vegetables decrease the number of nutrients found in the food.
Eating a rich diet and ensuring CoQ10-rich foods are part of your daily intake can’t guarantee you are getting your required amount of CoQ10. Natural CoQ10 levels decrease as you age, and levels decrease with people suffering from specific heart diseases or brain disorders. If you are suffering from Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, diabetes, high blood pressure or muscular dystrophy, taking a CoQ10 supplement may help alleviate your symptoms.